One of my fondest memories as a kid is going up on the roof with my dad. I’ve never been afraid of heights–in fact I love them–but my parents always worried I would get hurt if I tried to climb too high on my own. So, while I had little trees I could play in while Mom and Dad were outside, the highest I could get was when dad did his twice yearly fire safety. See, I grew up in the southwest, in an area where the most common tree is pine. We also lived in a time where fireworks were legal in the state I lived in. The last thing you ever wanted to have happen was a bottle rocket to get on your roof, when you had a bunch of pine needles piling up. This was a fast track to a house fire. So, twice a year my dad would get on the roof and sweep it off. I was allowed to come up, as long as I kept a few feet away from the edge. I would help by throw off branches and sweeping the few flat planes. While my dad was up there, he would also sweep the chimney of our fireplace. In just caring for the fireplace twice a year, my dad made sure that we could use this heater to supplement our HVAC system in the winter, without worrying about a chimney fire. These odd little childhood moments taught me something very important about heating and AC maintenance as well as home care: be prepared for the worst, and you can often avoid a tragedy entirely.