I never thought I would care much for the finer things in life, but after the first week of fall in my new condo, I could definitely get used to this. The place I’m currently calling home has a few of the finer things, which my roommate mostly demanded, but I played along because she’s my best friend. Among these finer things is an awesome fireplace in the living room. To be honest, I’ve just thought this entire time it was some kind of space heater in disguise, a fake fireplace that’s really just an electric block which lights up. But when I came up from work yesterday, there was a bit of a chill in the air. Not enough for me to want to turn on the gas boiler, so I figured what the heck, I’d give the new fireplace a try. Not only is it not a space heater, but it’s real fire! All I had to do was throw a light switch, and fire happened. I was baffled; I’ve never seen anything like it. I grew up with wood burning fireplaces that were always a pain, but necessary when you had no money to throw towards a higher heating bill. The gas fireplace lights via a pilot light, and according to my roommate it doesn’t even need electricity to turn on. She says that’s why she picked this place, so we could have heat in case we lose power during the winter–which happens often where we live. I will never doubt her judgement again. Curling up with a glass of wine and a book by the fireplace is my new favorite past time.