The good samaritan

I still remember this crazy thing about six months ago where something incredible happened. It was late in the night and I was asleep in my bed, and a burglar had broke into my house. It was a cold night, and I had my heating system set pretty high since the furnace was taking longer than usual to heat my home. Apparently, the burglar was having trouble breathing in the front room of my house. By the time he got towards the back of the house where my bedroom is, he was audibly coughing – that’s when I woke up, and was understandably terrified! This is where things got pretty wild, though. The burglar, knowing how bad this situation looked, stood on the outside of my bedroom door and loudly explained that there could be a carbon monoxide leak in my house. He said that he had no intention of hurting me or anyone else, and volunteered to call 911 for me if it meant getting me to leave the house. By the time I was up and out of bed, the guy was gone and out of my house – but the fumes were definitely present! I got out of the house and stayed with a friend nearby. I had a heating and A/C repair technician at my house the next day, and they confirmed that there was a crack in the furnace in my basement. The furnace had to be completely replaced. Before leaving for the day, the HVAC repair tech asked me how I was able to tell that there was a carbon monoxide leak when I was supposedly asleep – I simply said that a good samaritan tipped me off.

HVAC system