I had a crazily expensive mishap the other day.
I was trying to boil noodles to make a large batch of spaghetti.
If I can manage to find the time, I like to cook on the weekends so I have food to eat throughout the whole week. Sticking to this habit gives me the ability to eat hot meals for lunch every single day, assuming I’m in the office and the microwave in the break room is working. I filled the soup pot with water and walked it to the stovetop. Right as I went to gently place it down, the pot slipped from my hands and it crashed into the glass stovetop below. The entire cook top of my oven range shattered into pieces. I called the manufacturer to see if I could get a new piece of glass, but they told me it would be cheaper to buy a new range altogether. This is how I started using gas at my house, because there was a sale on gas ovens and stovetops at the store when I was browsing for a replacement. Once the gas line was hooked up and I was able to experience the magic of a gas stovetop, I decided to get a gas furnace as well. I called my HVAC supplier and scheduled a time to have one of their technicians install my new gas furnace in my house. However, before we made the final agreement on the date, he told me about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if the equipment is used for long periods of time without regular service and maintenance. As long as I stuck to a regimen of consistent service appointments and installed several carbon monoxide detectors around my house, I was safe from potential harmful gas exposure.